wheelie-bins-422386
Some self-published books pictured in their rightful place last night

In what is being seen in some quarters as a controversial move, the Home Secretary, Priti Patel, last night announced a two-year plan that will see eight million self-published writers trapped and humanely destroyed in a bid to stop the burgeoning number of people who are scrawling down a load of old toot and flogging it on Amazon at some risibly optimistic price before being given away free a few weeks later with a subscription to a DIY magazine.

It is estimated that 99% of this output will be bought by a few family members and reluctant friends who will stick their hands in their pockets out of a mixture of pity and loyalty. The remaining 1% will be used as cheap draught-excluders by Scottish people.

Patel told a late-night sitting in The Commons: “The self-publishing figures are growing out of control. The Office for National Statistics has advised the government that almost 89% of the population now have a truly horrendous novel or an alarmingly inept anthology of abysmal poetry up for sale and we must put a stop to it before Britain’s proud literary history is totally swamped by this vile effluent. It’s what Lord Byron and W. Somerset Maugham would have wanted”

It is believed that bear traps will be used to ensnare the perpetrators before they are dispatched, either with a bolt gun or by having their necks snapped by specially-trained published authors, literary critics, and historians from The British Library.

If you’re a self-published writer and feel threatened by this recent move, we suggest you leave the country post haste, or, alternatively, change your name and deny all knowledge of your horrendous example of literary filth when they come round to kill you – Ed